Grain Fort was built in the 1860's on the west bank of the Medway estuary opposite Garrison Point Fort and Grain Tower Battery as part of the Chatham Defences. Grain Dummy Battery was added a mile to the south for extra support. Grain Fort was demolished in 1962, but the earthen ramparts and dry ditch still remain. Interestingly much of the structure of the fort exists underground.
Both are open and can be viewed from the coastal footpath.
|By the shore at Grain|
Grain Dummy Battery