The Channel Islands were annexed by the Duchy of Normandy in AD933. They were linked with England when William the Conqueror, the then Duke of Normandy, invaded in 1066. Normandy was lost to the French in the 13th century, but the islands became self governing but have remained as British Crown Dependencies.
Guernsey is only 7.5 by 6 miles in size and covers an area of 25 square miles. The first fortification was Ivy Castle dating from the 12th century but the main defence over the years has been Castle Cornet at St. Peter Port .....see more detailed information and photos.
Alderney is only 3 square miles in area, and 3.5 by 1.5 miles in size. Essex Castle was the sole fortification on the island until the 1850 when a total of eighteen forts and gun batteries were constructed to protect the island against the French .....see more detailed information and photos.
To follow - under construction
|© Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales|