It was built in 1087 to a similar design to Restormel castle and then the stone walls and shell keep were added in the 12th century. The house inside the walls was added in 1808 when part of the curtain wall was removed to improve the view of the sea. The keep, the rest of the wall and the gatehouse still stand in good condition.
Closed to the public.
Photo Steve Johnson