A Saxon site built up with a motte & bailey during the early 12th century by Henry be Blois. A tall stone keep was built in the early 13th century. It had fallen into ruin by 1600 but it was repaired during the Civil War although afterwards, in 1662, the keep was demolished and only the base remains. It has now been restored as the County Museum.
Photos Andrew Tivenan