SOUTHAMPTON CASTLE & CITY WALLS
Half of the 14th century town walls remain, along with the 4 towers. The Norman castle that was started by 1150 and was then built up as a shell keep on a large motte in the 12th & 14th centuries on the western side of the town has vanished apart from sections of outer defences and a reduced mound. It was allowed to fall into ruin in the 17th century and its stone was used in the 19th century to build a mock Gothic castle, although this only stood for 17 years. The main entrance to the town, the Bargate (left), still stands.
Photos Charles Taylor