A fortified manor house built at the end of the 14th century, set in the middle of a lake. It originally had 4 towers, one in each corner, but now only one remains after the castle was remodelled in the 17th century and a new range was added. This is now a ruined shell. In 1839 a new house was built on the hill above, overlooking the old castle ruins.
The buildings are set in 700 acres of woodland and landscaped gardens. A Victorian ice house made of straw with a deep brick lined pit can also be seen in the gardens. It was used to store the ice from the moat to be used in summer.
National Trust open May - September, but not Mondays and Tuesdays
|Off the A21, 1 mile south of Lamberhurst|
|Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 8JN|