The granite Martello tower and battery was constructed in 1804. In 1852, the battery at Fort Saumarez received 32-pounder guns and 8" shell guns in place of some of its 24-pounder guns. During the German occupation of the Channel Islands in World War 2 they built a four-storey concrete observation tower on top of the existing tower and demolished the battery around the tower. On the headland the Germans constructed a casemate for an anti tank gun and one for a 10.5cm gun.
Fort Saumarez is now privately owned and not publicly accessible.