Fort Grey is located on a small tidal islet in Rocquaine Bay on the west coast of Guernsey, connected to the shore by a raised causeway. It stands on the site of an earlier castle, the Château de Rocquaine. It was built in 1804, as part of a chain of defences to protect Guernsey against the French. The coastal towers erected in the 1780s did not have the necesary firepower so a number of new forts were built in 1804, including three with larger improved martello towers at Fort Grey, Fort Saumarez and Fort Hommet. The tower was armed with a 24 pdr carronade on its roof and a gun platform was constructed all around the tower for six further 24 pdr cannons. It served as a German anti-aircraft battery during their occupation of the island. After the war it fell into disuse but the martello tower has now been restored as a shipwreck museum.
Open April - October.
|Rocquaine, Guernsey GY7 9BY|