A manor house owned by the Constable family was on the site in the 12th century. In 1351 Marmaduke Constable received a licence to crenellate the house and it is likely that this is when the tower, constructed of chalk (as is the nearby lighthouse), was built. The foundations of other buildings including a hall and chapel are visible as overgrown earthworks around the tower. The stonework has been robbed out to construct later buildings in Flamborough or burnt to produce lime. The site fell into disrepair in the middle of the 16th century when Robert Constable was executed and by the 18th century the tower was being used as a cattle shed.
Private with no access, but visible from the road.
|In the centre of the town, 15 miles south east of Scarborough|
|Tower Street, Flamborough, East Yorkshire YO15 1RH|