The motte was built in 1070 on a cliff above the River Wye. It was rebuilt in stone in the 1220's as a shell keep with 5 towers, two of which formed a gatehouse, with a hall and courtyard inside. The smaller of the two baileys was protected by another gatehouse but the larger bailey does not appear to have had a stone outer wall. The castle was last used in the 15th century and has fallen into ruins.
|B4350, 2 miles north east of Hay-on-Wye|