The building of a large stone tower surrounded by stone walls on a cliff overlooking the Wye river to protect an important river crossing was started in 1067. In the early 13th century the castle was extended by the construction of two baileys to the east and west sides with a gatehouse at each end. At the end of the century the western end was strengthened and living accomodation added. The structure is an unusual shape being 650 foot in length but only 150 foot wide. During the second of two seiges during the Civil War the walls were breeched by cannon fire but this was repaired and the castle was garrisoned until the end of the 17th century.
Cadw, open all year.
At the end of the 13th century a town wall 1200 yards long was added with towers and a gatehouse. Sections of the walls still stand and the gatehouse, modified over the years, is still the entrance to the town from the north.
|At the southern end of the town|
|Bridge St, Chepstow, Monmouthshire NP16 5EY|