A Roman fortified town dating from c. 75 AD, the original wooden structure being replaced by stone in AD 330. Part of the town walls are still seventeen foot high, although they were once twice this height. A motte and bailey castle protected by a ditch was built in one corner in the late 1060's and the mound can still be seen.
CADW, open all year.
|14 miles east of Newport on the A48|
|Caerwent Roman Town, Gwent NP26 5BA|