The earthworks remain of a moated motte probably constructed in c.1140, just north of the church. It is thought to have been built by the Mortimers who owned Wigmore and Bridgnorth castles. The motte is 70 feet in diameter at the summit and 12 feet high above the moat which is fed by a stream.
200 yards to the north are the remains of another motte, possibly a seige castle from 1155.
|Pipe Aston is 3 miles south west of Ludlow|
|Wigmore Road, Ludlow, Herefordshire SY8 2HG|