It dates from 1277, and was constructed a mile away from the site of the first castle which was started in 1110 and then was destroyed twice and rebuilt three times. The new castle was captured by the Welsh in 1282 and again in 1403. In the 15th century it was of no military value and was allowed to decay. It was fortified in the Civil War and in 1652 it was slighted after being captured (yet again).
Open all year.
Photos Andrew Tivenan