It was built in 1537 - 1540 to a very similar design to that used for Walmer Castle but almost nothing now remains. The sea stared to breach the defences in 1785 but it was still used for another 50 years before being totally abandoned. Since c.1900 when the picture below showing the north side starting to collapse was taken, some of the stone was removed for use in the town, but the castle was then left to the sea. It has now been covered in concrete to form part of the sea defences. A few loose stones are left to mark the spot.
|On the seafront at the northern tip of Deal, about 1 mile from the town centre.|