The keep was erected in 1170 near the site of the original 11th century motte and bailey castle of which the motte can still be seen. A few years later the curtain wall was added around the keep and this was raised in height in the 15th century. It was slighted during the Civil War with one side of the curtain wall being removed but much remains of the 12th and 13th century walls and the large keep.
English Heritage, open all year.
|A6108, 1 mile south of the Leyburn on the A684|
|Castle Hill, Middleham, North Yorkshire DL8 4QG|