Little remains of Heighley Castle apart from the footings and a small section of curtain wall as all the stonework was removed from the site soon after demolition. It was built as a hilltop fortress by Henry de Audley between 1226 and 1233 on the edge of a steep sandstone escarpment overlooking the Checkley Brook. The escarpment protected its eastern and southern edges and the western and northern defences were strengthened by a large rock-cut ditch measuring 50 feet wide and 30 feet deep. Its eventual demolition was ordered by Parliament in 1644, to prevent it being used by Royalist forces.
|Off A531, 1 mile north of Madeley||Heighley Lane, Crewe, Staffs CW3 9DL|