Construction of Fort George started in 1780, and was completed in 1812. In 1833 the fort mounted 34 cannon, one carronade and four mortar. The granite arch at the entrance of the fort is approximately 20 feet thick and still features the same gates that were installed in the early 1800s. The fort was sold in the 1960s and was converted into a housing estate with just the gates and Clarence Battery still remaining.
Clarence Battery, originally called Terres Point Battery when it was built in 1780 in the outer defences of Fort George, was renamed in 1815 in honour of the third son of King George III, Prince William, Duke of Clarence. Ten gun mountings allowed the battery to fire in two directions, a magazine and Guard Room were also built. The original guns were later upgraded to 5-inch guns and during the German occupation a 3.7cm anti-aircraft gun was installed.
All that remains of Charlotte Battery is a part of the outer wall, now forming part of a residence.
|St. Peter Port, Guernsey|