A Norman motte and bailey castle was built in the corner of one of the Roman Saxon Shore forts but the last traces of the motte were destroyed in 1839. Three sides of the original Roman walls still remain up to 8 foot thick and 15 foot high. It was built on the south side of an estuary in the 3rd century, but this has since silted up leaving the castle about 2 miles from the sea.
English Heritage, open all year.
Photos Charles Taylor